Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Per City ordinance, the City of Farmers Branch requires a Certificate of Occupancy upon any change of ownership or occupancy of a single family home.
In order to issue a Certificate of Occupancy, the City is required to perform an inspection to ensure that the home meets the City's minimum housing code (Ordinance No. 1038.)
The City will check the A/C powered (line voltage), smoke detectors, properly installed water heater (vented, temperature and pressure relief valve), general condition of the roof and exterior building, exposed wiring, etc.
The City will pro-actively release the requested utilities to the electric and gas companies within 24 hours of the approved inspection.
All applicants are responsible for contacting the appropriate utility offices to set up accounts for service prior to the City release. Once a completed application is received, a Code Enforcement Officer will contact the applicant within 1 business day to schedule an inspection date and time.
The Certificate of Occupancy or Release of Utilities will not be issued unless the following conditions are met:
The application is complete, signed and received by the City.
• The applicant shall make the premises available for inspection.
• An inspection of the property is performed by a City Code Enforcement Officer.
• The property & structure meets or exceeds Minimum Housing Codes for occupancy.
• Rental property obtains and/or maintains a current Single Family Rental License.
• All open or expired permits are satisfactorily resolved.
• Work performed at the property without a permit shall be properly permitted and
brought to current minimum construction code standards.
• All labor/property liens are resolved.
• If, in the opinion of the Building Official or his designee, unsafe electrical or gas piping
conditions are found, service shall be terminated immediately.
• The applicant agrees to hold the City harmless from any loss, damages or liability of
This field is not part of the form submission.
* indicates a required field