Police Officer recruiting
Applications must be submitted online at .
NEWLY APPROVED: sign on incentives of $2,500 for qualified recruits - half upon hiring and half upon completion of field training.
Please have a look at our recruiting video.
Complete and print the Personal History Statement.
2019-2020 Farmers Branch Police Officer Salary.
|7th year +
If invited to test, please reserve the entire day for the testing. Please prepare for the physical agility test; it is common for applicants to perform far below their potential when they do not prepare, often failing when they could have passed.
Physical Agility Test Requirements:
1.5-mile run in 19:36 minutes or less
300-meter run in 74 seconds or less
Bench press 100 lbs. or 60% body weight, whichever is less
21 push-ups (no time)
Agility run in 20.2 seconds
Vertical jump 14.5 inches
Please check the Physical Agility Test Requirements document to obtain more information.
Lateral pay transfers are available for certified applicants. Please call Sgt.Julie Chandler at 972.919.9315 for more information.
Education and Experience
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Education: High School Diploma or a High School Equivalency Certificate. (If you have a GED, then you must have completed at least 12 hours at an institution of higher education with at least a 2.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale).
- If applicable, an honorable discharge from the United States Armed Forces after at least 24 months of active duty service.
- Must be able to work rotating shifts including weekends.
- Must be eligible for certification from TCOLE (Texas Commission on Law Enforcement). For a complete list of the state's licensing requirements, please visit TCOLE at www.tcole.texas.gov.
- Applicants cannot be on probation for any offense on the date of the test.
- Applicants must possess a valid driver's license with no more than three events (moving violations or accidents) in the 36 months preceding the date of application. Out of town applicants, may apply, but must obtain a Texas driver's license upon employment with the City.
- Have never been on court-ordered community supervision or probation for any criminal offense above the grade of Class B misdemeanor or a Class B misdemeanor within the last ten years from the date of the court order.
- Is not currently charged with any criminal offense for which conviction would be a bar to licensure.
- Has never been convicted of an offense above the grade of a Class B misdemeanor or a Class B misdemeanor within the last ten years.
- Has never been convicted or placed on community supervision in any court of an offense involving family violence as defined under Chapter 71, Texas Family Code.
- Is not prohibited by state or federal law from operating a motor vehicle.
- Is not prohibited by state or federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition.
1. I have used Heroin, Methamphetamine, Cocaine, Steroids or any other illegal narcotic at some point in my life, would that disqualify me?
Yes, having used any illegal narcotic at any point in your life will disqualify you.
2. I have previously used marijuana, will that disqualify me?
If you have used marijuana any time in the last 2 years that will disqualify you.
3. Will a DWI conviction disqualify me?
4. I have a Class B or higher conviction; will that disqualify me?
Yes, anything higher than a Class C conviction will disqualify you.
5. When will I start the police academy?
That will not be determined until you have been offered a job.
6. Do you recognize other states police officer certifications?
Yes, TCOLE will allow you to challenge the Texas test without attending the academy all over again. We will prepare you for that if hired. This does take some time, so it would help to contact TCOLE and start the paperwork ASAP.
7. Do you offer a study guide for the written test? And, what is the test over?
Yes, study guides are available in the Human Resources office at City Hall. If you live out of the DFW area they can be mailed to you. The written test is comprised of basic reading, writing and arithmetic skills.
8. Can you email or fax the study guide to me?
No, due to a security agreement with the testing agency they cannot be emailed or faxed.
9. What is the age limit?
We require that you be at least 21 years old and do not have an age cut-off.
10. How long is the hiring process?
Approximately 2 months.
11. What is your work schedule?
We work 12-hour shifts, Sunday-Tuesday or Wednesday-Friday and every other Saturday.
12. Do I have to have a College degree?
No, but you will need a High School Diploma.
13. What is the process?
2) Complete the Personal History Statement (Will be turned in AFTER completing the next step)
3) Physical and Written Test
4) Oral Interview Board and Background Investigation
5) Chief Interview
6) Job Offer
7) Pass a polygraph, psychological, drug screen and physical
8) Academy (If needed)
14. What Police Officer positions are open?
Patrol, everyone starts out on patrol.
15. Is FBPD civil service?
16. I have failed the written or physical test in the past, can I test again?
17. What is your tattoo policy?
Visible tattoos on the ears, neck, head or face area are prohibited. Officers with tattoos/branding may be required to cover them if they are unsightly.