Winter Storm Recovery
Resources for Businesses
This page is intended to provide Farmers Branch businesses with information on available resources in the aftermath of the recent winter storms.
All North Texans experiencing any type of storm damage should report their damages to the Texas Department of Emergency Management by clicking Here
Small Business Administration Loans
If you have damage to your home or business that is not covered by insurance, you may qualify for low interest loans through the Small Business Administration. Go to https://disasterloanassistance.sba.gov/ela/s/ for more information and to apply online.
SBA Fact Sheet
SBA Flyer English
SBA Flyer Spanish
File a Damage Claim with Your Insurance
Most North Texans with storm damage will have to first file a claim with their homeowners’ insurance. For questions about filing a claim with your homeowners’ insurance, call the Texas Department of Insurance at 800.252.3439.
If your home was damaged due to a broken water pipe, downed tree limbs, or other winter damage, contact your insurance company or agent to file a claim as soon as possible. These tips will help make the process go smoother:
- Make a list of damaged property. Take pictures or video of the damage. Don't throw anything away until your insurance company tells you to.
- Take steps to protect your home from further damage. Turn off the water and cover broken windows and holes in your roof if possible. Save all receipts. Your policy may cover these costs.
- Try to be there when the insurance company comes to inspect the damage. If you can’t stay in your home, leave a note with information on where you can be reached.
- Keep a list of everyone you talk to at your insurance company. Be ready to answer questions about the damage.
- Ask about living expenses. Most policies will cover some of the costs you have if you are unable to live in your home because of damage that is covered by your insurance. Keep your receipts for these costs.
- Ask about an advance payment if you need help quickly.