Benefits of Brush Diversion
Sustainable Benefits of Brush Recycling
We need your help in reducing the amount of solid waste we take to our city landfill!
The purpose of brush recycling is to keep brush material out of the landfill, thus prolonging the life of the landfill. In addition, this allows the City to be better stewards of the environment by having the brush ground into mulch, which can then be used in gardens and flower beds to conserve soil moisture, improve fertility and health of the soil, reduce weed growth and enhance the visual appeal of the area.
Every year Americans throw away approximately 24 million tons of leaves and grass (Statistics generated by the Environmental Defense Fund). In addition, we also toss about 22 million tons of food waste into landfills. Together it is estimated these recyclables consume 20 – 30% of all landfill space.
Nationwide, if we compost these materials instead of sending them to the landfill, the resulting reduction in greenhouse gas emissions would be the equivalent of taking more than four million cars off the road. Recycling compostable materials not only lowers greenhouse gas emissions, but also saves valuable landfill space, promotes water conservation and returns organic matter back to the earth for beneficial use.
Key Benefits of Brush Recycling
- Reduce material going to landfill which will extend the life of the landfill.
- Use our resources wisely by turning brush into mulch. Mulch benefits the soil by providing nutrients, suppressing weed growth and reducing water usage.
- The mulching site is closer than the landfill and will reduce cost, time, vehicle maintenance, emissions and allow more homes to be served in each collection day.
- Other benefits of mulch include; decrease soil erosion by enhancing soil structure, return a diverse number of nutrients to the soil, reduce watering needs by improving water retention in the soil and suppress plant disease.
This is what you can do to make a difference:
- Separate bulky items from brush which allows for brush diversion to the brush recycling center.
- Put out bulky items once a month and brush on the remaining three weeks of the month as scheduled for your neighborhood.
- Call the city for on demand pick-ups in between normal collection schedules at 972.919.2597