Farmers Branch Power Switch
The Farmers Branch Power Switch is now year-round! With two rounds of the program complete, we are more confident than ever that this program can help all of our residents better understand the deregulated electricity market in Texas and save money.Using energy broker iChoosr, the City of Farmers Branch offered the opportunity for residents to benefit from volume buying of power in order to lower individual monthly bills with the Texas Power Switch/Farmers Branch Power Switch. The initial Farmers Branch Power Switch had over 300 households switch electricity providers with an average annual savings of almost $500!
There is no cost and no obligation associated with the program. It provides a mechanism to help residents better understand the confusing, deregulated energy market and potentially provide a pathway to saving money on electric bills. The more people that register for the program, the better the opportunity for the broker to make a low-cost deal.
A number of other Texas cities, including Lake Dallas and Richland Hills, are participating in the program.
The power switch period moves through four phases:
- Sign Up: Anyone can register for Farmers Branch Power Switch (Now - May 21).
- Rate Announcement: iChoosr will announce the winning rate from the reverse energy auction. The provider who offers the cheapest rates gets to offer you a new electricity contract.
- Personal Offer: After the auction, residents will receive a personal offer which will outline potential savings.
- Accept/Decline: After residents receive their personal offer, they will have the option to accept or decline it. If choosing to accept, iChoosr will take care of the switching process.
The timeline for the current Farmers Branch Power Switch:
- Registration currently open and goes through May 21
- Auction April 16
- Celebrate the Rate April 25 at the District 3 Town Hall in the Historical Park
- Offers sent starting April 30
- Decision Period – Ends May 21
- Switch Window – April 30 through September 3
The “Celebrate the Rate” event is an opportunity for residents to come by City Hall to meet with iChoosr representatives who can help calculate potential savings. For more information on this program, please contact Ben Williamson, Assistant City Manager, at 972.919.2505 or by email, or view the helpful video below.